[graph-tool] Graph drawing: overlay possible?

Tiago de Paula Peixoto tiago at skewed.de
Thu Aug 11 08:52:25 CEST 2011

On 08/09/2011 10:48 AM, Steffen Schaper wrote:
>> The graph_draw() function defaults to 'neato' if the graph is smaller than 1000 nodes, and uses 'sfdp' otherwise. And indeed, it seems like 'sfdp' ignores the pin property. This is a graphviz limitation.
>
> Maybe you could add another check to draw/__init__.py at line 312:
>
> layout = "neato" if g.num_vertices() <= 1000 else "fdp" if pos is not None and pin else "sfdp"

Yes, something like this would be a good idea.

> Thanks, setting maxiter=1 made things faster (subjectively, I haven't
> done timings).  What I meant originally was that the difference
> between sfdp without pin and neato/fdp (I tried both now) with pin
> isn't as big as I thought. My naive expectation was that it takes most
> of the time to do the layout, so if we tell graphviz where to put the
> nodes, the rest should be a lot quicker.

Although the difference between sfdp and fdp/neato is very noticeable
for larger graphs, I would expect that both fdp/neato with pin=True
would be _much_ faster than sfdp, since the layout algorithm is not
run. In my experience, this is always what I found. I would be
interested in understanding why you perceive this not to be the
case... How long does it actually take to plot with sfdp and neato with
pinning?