[graph-tool] Fast initialization of graph

Tiago de Paula Peixoto tiago at skewed.de
Tue Mar 19 11:51:20 CET 2013

Hi,

On 03/19/2013 09:39 AM, arnfred wrote:
> I'm currently trying to instantiate a fully connected graph with some 600
> vertices, but I find that adding all the edges usually takes around 10
> seconds on my system. The fastest way of doing it that I have come up with
> so far is to write:
>
> from itertools import combinations
> edges = [g.add_edge(v1,v2) for (v1,v2) in combinations(g.vertices(),2)]
>
> But I'm wondering if there is a faster method?

You can create a "random" graph with all degrees equal to N - 1:

    g = random_graph(600, lambda: 600 - 1, directed=False, random=False)

This should be much faster. Note the option 'random=False' which avoids
the random placement of the edges, which would be completely pointless
in this case.

I'm planning to include a complete graph generator, as well as some
other simple generators, which would make this more straightforward.