[graph-tool] How to implement graph version of map/reduce

cammil ctaank at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 17:56:35 CET 2014

Is there a way to implement an arbitrary walking and/or reduction of a
graph? I feel this is analogous to map/reduce for lists/iterables.

This is my first foray into implementing graphs in software, and I'm not
sure whether this is possible, desired or already existing in graph-tool
implementation. I feel this type of functionality is essential if I am to
use graph-tool for my experimentations.

I am thinking something like: A function called "graph_walk" (which is
analogous to map) which takes a "walk method" and a mapping function. The
"walk method" might have several different parameters:

e.g. revisit nodes allowed - Boolean
maximum nodes to visit - +int
minimum nodes to visit - +int
spawn new walkers - function of the node/edge which returns boolean
algorithm - breadth first / depth first / ...
randomisation - function returning probability of walking down edge from
node (defaults to function returning 1)