[graph-tool] behaviour of blockmodel, Potts with disconnected graph

Tiago de Paula Peixoto tiago at skewed.de
Fri Mar 14 00:06:23 CET 2014

On 03/13/2014 11:21 PM, Alan Williams wrote:
> Hi Tiago,
>
> how do the blockmodel and modularity community functions behave with a graph with one giant component and a few relatively tiny disconnected components?
> Do I need to create a new graph of just the dominant component and then run the community functions on that, or will the functions lump the disconnected vertices into a block/community of the dominant component with no noticeable effect on the algorithm outcome?

Modularity maximization will always keep the components in different
communities, even if they arise out of statistical fluctuations.

Instead, blockmodel inference will look for statistical evidence, and
components will be merged together into other blocks if there is not
enough evidence to keep them separate.

At this day and age, I would recommend against using modularity
maximization for any purpose other than to show how such a bad idea it
is.