[graph-tool] New to graphtool , coming from networkx. Any support for json?

Tiago de Paula Peixoto tiago at skewed.de
Wed Mar 19 19:02:11 CET 2014

On 03/19/2014 05:10 PM, Phyo Arkar Lwin wrote:
> Oh that's unfortunate.
>
> Any plan in future? it won't be hard i guess. and Json is very popular these days.
> NetworkX is too slow for large graphs.

I'm always thinking about supporting more formats, but supporting all of
them seems unrealistic. The problem with Json is that it is not really a
graph format, but rather a general meta-format, like XML. For instance,
both graphml and GEXF are XML formats, but they are otherwise completely
different. With Json you have something similar... It is not because two
programs write/read Json files that they are going to be able to
understand each other.

Right now I'm not sure if there is really a standard Json graph format
out there, but I could be mistaken.

But in any case, given a desired Json output format, it should be really
easy to write a small function which outputs a graph-tool graph...

> Will this code work after graphml is exported ?
> https://github.com/uskudnik/GraphGL/blob/master/examples/graphml-to-json.py

I see no reason why it shouldn't.