[graph-tool] New to graphtool , coming from networkx. Any support for json?

Phyo Arkar Lwin phyo.arkarlwin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 10:05:47 CET 2014

> I'm always thinking about supporting more formats, but supporting all of
> them seems unrealistic. The problem with Json is that it is not really a
> graph format, but rather a general meta-format, like XML. For instance,
> both graphml and GEXF are XML formats, but they are otherwise completely
> different. With Json you have something similar...

I agree its not realistic to support all the formats out there.
While i look around standardized JSON format for graphs i found below:

https://github.com/thinkaurelius/faunus/wiki/GraphSON-Format

But non of the major Network Diagramming JavaScript libraries support it
natively. So its quite useless.
Most popular data vis framework of javascript : D3js is format agnostic and
Network diagramming framework  sigmajs support non standard Json
dictionaries by default like this :

{
  "nodes": [
    {
      "id": "n0",
      "label": "A node",
      "x": 0,
      "y": 0,
      "size": 3
    },
    {
      "id": "n1",
      "label": "Another node",
      "x": 3,
      "y": 1,
      "size": 2
    },
    {
      "id": "n2",
      "label": "And a last one",
      "x": 1,
      "y": 3,
      "size": 1
    }
  ],
  "edges": [
    {
      "id": "e0",
      "source": "n0",
      "target": "n1"
    },
    {
      "id": "e1",
      "source": "n1",
      "target": "n2"
    },
    {
      "id": "e2",
      "source": "n2",
      "target": "n0"
    }
  ]
}

GEXF is supported by Sigmajs. So just GEXF support will be fine for my
case, but still it need to covert to json to work it under javascript ,
still that cost additional performance converting GEFX to Json at
background.

What i can suggest is :
Javascript data visualization is a growing (and very useful) trend so just
Dumping JSON natively of current graph format would be good enough. Let the
javascript libraries support your graph after it :) .