[graph-tool] what could be causing a dlopen() issue when importing graph_tool?

Lev Givon lev at columbia.edu
Fri Mar 28 15:56:54 CET 2014

I've installed the 2.2.31-1 graph-tool package for Ubuntu 13.10 x86_64 on my
system. Although I can import it from within a regular Python 2.7.5 session
without any problems, I can't seem to import it successfully from within a virtualenv in which I've
installed a range of other packages (the virtualenv is configured to also access
globally installed Python packages):

>>> import graph_tool
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/graph_tool/__init__.py", line 100, in <module>
    dl_import("from . import libgraph_tool_core as libcore")
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/graph_tool/dl_import.py", line 57, in
    dl_import exec(import_expr, local_dict, global_dict)
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/graph_tool/libgraph_tool_core.so: invalid mode for dlopen(): Invalid argument

Before I manually go through all of the packages installed in the virtualenv,
does anyone have any ideas as to what sort of things might be causing
the above import problem?
--
Lev Givon
Bionet Group