[graph-tool] Regarding the reliability of graph tool for research applications

Tiago de Paula Peixoto tiago at skewed.de
Tue Jun 28 08:27:01 CEST 2016

On 28.06.2016 07:45, vineesh vs wrote:
> I have been trying to install graph tool for past 2 days. Have met
> with many errors in installing it and its dependencies (still
> solving). Also I have seen many errors posted by the community
> regarding the usage of package.
>
> I was planning to use it for my research work since the tools seems
> promising. But it might take some time to change to another graph tool
> if I find out at a later stage that there are too many bugs in
> Python-graph tool and is not yet ready to relied on for a Ph.D level
> work.

Having problems with installation does not mean there is a bug with
graph-tool.

Being implemented in C++, and depending on other C/C++ libraries,
graph-tool requires a basic understanding and familiarity with compiling
and installing C++ libraries, sorting out dependencies, etc. For those
that do not have this familiarity, there are packages available for some
operating systems (Ubuntu, Debian, Arch, Gentoo and MacOS), that make
this task easier.

> Hence I would really like to hear from the people who have used this
> tool for some work before I begin.

I use it extensively in my research, and I know that others do too.