[graph-tool] Regarding the reliability of graph tool for research applications

Frank Takes ftakes at liacs.nl
Tue Jun 28 09:50:33 CEST 2016

Hello Vineesh,

I am sorry to hear that you have installation problems with graph-tool.
It seems a bit harsh towards the hard-working creator of graph-tool to
question the feasibility of a software package for doing PhD research,
based on the fact that you lack the necessary skills to install the package.

Graph-tool is a great package for network analysis and is more efficient
than most (all?) other out-of-the-box network analysis packages that I
know.
I use it extensively for my research and at my university I have had the
package installed by the system administration on all student machines.
A number of bachelor and master students use the package from home or from
their own machines throughout my social network analysis course.

Installation requires one to follow a number of steps that should be easy
for anyone with basic knowledge of Linux and how to install software under
that operating system, requiring one to know only a little bit more than
"sudo apt-get install PackageX" under Ubuntu.
In any case, if you are doing PhD research, and need graph-tool, meaning
you somehow want to do large-scale network analysis, basic Linux skills are
likely much welcome and worth spending a few weeks learning.

Good luck,

Kind regards,

Frank