[graph-tool] Questions about inference algorithms

Andrea Briega annbrial at gmail.com
Mon May 9 16:33:26 CEST 2016

Dear Dr Peixoto,

I would like to solve some questions I have about inference algorithms for
the identification of large-scale network structure via the statistical
inference of generative models.

Minimize_blockmodel algorithm takes an hour to finish using my network
with 21000 nodes (like the hierarchical version), and it spends two days
and a half with overlap. However, I have run an hierarchical analysis with
overlap, and it is still running since 14 days ago. So my first question
is: is this time normal, or maybe there is any problem? Do you know how
long could it ussually takes?

Secondly, I have repeated some of these analysis with exactly same options
but I get different solutions (similar but different), so I wonder if the
algorithm is heuristic (I thought it was exact).

My last question question regards bipartite analysis. I have two types of
nodes in my network and I wonder if there are any analytical difference
when running these algorithms with the bipartite option (clabel=True, and
different labels in each group of nodes) or not, because it seems that the
program “knows” my network is bipartite in any case. If there are
differences between bipartite and “unipartite” analysis (clabel=False), is
it possible to compare description length between them to model selection?

Thank you very much for your help!

Best regards,

Andrea