[graph-tool] Speeding up graph copy?

Tiago de Paula Peixoto tiago at skewed.de
Wed Jan 22 16:11:05 CET 2020

Am 22.01.20 um 06:54 schrieb Zouhair:

>     How are you doing steps 3.a and 3.e exactly?
>
>     Are you calling g.add_vertex() and g.remove_vertex() repeatedly?
>

> Yes I am. I assumed that's not the best thing but compared to copying
> the graph, adding then removing the vertices was performing better.

The point here is that this is sub-optimal and can be avoided. Both the
g.add_vertex() and g.remove_vertex() functions should not be called
repeatedly. Graph.add_vertex() can be called with an optional argument
specifying the number of vertices to be added, which happens much faster
than calling it multiple times. Likewise, Graph.remove_vertex() can be
called with a list of vertices that need to be removed, which is
performed in a much more efficient way, specially if the vertices
removed happen to be the ones with the largest indexes.